During building my lab for testing, I tried to find a free subdomain to use which also can be integrated with CloudFlare. I found this free pp.ua domain zone is perfect for personal pages and blogs – the abbreviation “PP” means “Private Person”. It is Ukraine website in Russian language, but it can be applied globally with Google translation’s help . So far, the subdomain from pp.ua works just like any other domains.
- It requires activation, which I found phone number outside of Ukraine might not work. Telegram activation method is still working.
- WHOIS information is public.
- You can register 3 free domains in one month from the same phone number under your account
Steps to apply a new domain
As shown from the homepage of https://pp.ua, there are quite a few domain registrars. In this post, I picked the first one nic.ua to register my own subdomain as an example. You will need to register an account from nic.ua website first.
Integration with CloudFlare
After you activated from Telegram, you can start the process to integrate with CloudFlare.
- Log into your CloudFlare account, click button “+Add a Site”
- Enter your new activated pp.ua domain
- Choose Free plan
- You will get a “Complete your nameserver setup” page.
- Change nameserver settings under your new activated domain from nic.ua
Click ‘Change’ to modify your name servers. Change NS-Servers entries to those two displayed in CloudFlare page.
- It will take a couple of hours to get this NS-Server change take into effect. You can request CloudFlare to check this nameserver updates from Overview page in your domain’s CloudFlare Dashboard.
- Eventually if all goes well, in next 2-3 hours, you CloudFlare’s domain page will show you this message: “Great news! Cloudflare is now protecting your site”
- PP.UA domains restrictions
- How to activate PP.UA domain